The quality of your tax return and the timeliness of its preparation depend strongly on obtaining all your tax documents and information. Therefore, we have created the following checklist to accompany your organizer. As more companies move to electronic delivery of their tax documents and statements, this checklist will help ensure you are not missing important tax documentation.
- Contact Information
- Child, Dependent Care
- Education, Tuition, Student Loans
- Moving Expenses
- Medical Expenses, HSA Contributions
- Mortgage, Property / Real Estate Taxes
- Charitable Contributions
- Retirement and 529 Account Statements
- Personal Property, State taxes paid
- Miscellaneous Questionnaire
- Tax Questionnaire
- Federal and State Estimates paid with dates and amounts
- W2s from Employers
- K1s from Partnerships, SCorps, Trusts, Estates
- 1099s from Banks, Investment Brokers, Government Agencies, Contract Employers, etc.
- 1098-T Tuition statement
- Cost Basis, Purchase History for Stock Sales (if you received a 1099B and the cost basis is -0-)
Rental Property, Schedule C, Schedule F
- From Organizer, please fill out income and deduction sections OR provide a clear summary or Quickbooks
- Balance Sheet and Income Statement for the year.
- Capital expenditures and loan statement showing terms, payment and interest rate. This would be for vehicles, equipment or improvement. List dates and amounts and brief description. This is needed to calculate depreciation expense.
- Inventory listing if applicable.
- 1098s from Mortgage Lenders (the form is now required, not just the figures)
- Home Purchase / Refinance Documents, Closing Disclosure / HUD Statements
- Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI) Premiums, Year End Loan Statements
- Property / Real Estate Taxes Paid